Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Amigurumi Maddness

Perhaps it's the cabin fever I've been experiencing with winter being at it's height, or perhaps it's just my obsession with crochet, but I've found a new fabulous hobby! Amigurumi! It's a crochet artform that originated in Japan...as far as I've learned, Amigurumi means roughly cute, stitched doll...but it's so much more than that. Yes it's cute and yes it's stitched and yes I suppose they are dolls (but don't let them hear you call them that...you'll have a whole herd of upset little critters after you...). Simply put they are just fabulous! I think I'm safe to say that amigurumi-making will be my 2008 obsession...most likely extending well into future years. I've only made four of them so far but I love making them and I have a ton of patterns just waiting to be made...I think I'll be making a hamburger with all the fixings next, followed closely by oreo cookies...no wait, maybe the patterns I found for forest friends...or pocket animals...oh, the list goes on and on!

Anyway, let me show you a few photos of the guys I've finished so far. They're heading off soon for an overseas adventure to New Zealand. They're almost packed but I need to make sure they'll have enough food and water for the long journey...they will be sadly missed but I'm sure they will bring loads of fun and joy in NZ.

I've actually learned some new crochet stuff through this new obsession...can you imagine! Amigurumi making for the most part is done in spirals in stead of rounds, so you need to mark where each row begins, otherwise it's impossible to know where a row ends and another begins...as a result I got to buy a few new craft supplies...locking stitch markers...totally cool. I also learned how to make a ring that you can sinch closed. OK, you're snoring, I'll stop with the annoying details...can you blame me...I just love crochet.
Mr. Frog was my first creation...I didn't stuff him enough, so he's a little too soft around the middle, if you know what I mean. But I love how his always cheering me on with his little hands!
Piggy was my second creation and I must say one of my favourites. He has a few fans in Vancouver that are sad he is moving the NZ. Perhaps he'll have a few cousins pop up and decide that Vancouver is where it's at.
Don't you just love his little tail!
This guy is my favourite so far. The smurk on his face makes me crack up everytime he looks at me! I'm laughing again...stop smurking at me, I'm trying to type! Mr. Octopus was very fussy about the placement of his tentacles. They had to be just so...in fact, he made me take a couple off and reattach them! The nerve!
You see what I mean about the smurking!

My leaning tower of amigurumi! Mr. Octopus was only there as a spotter. Didn't want any injuries. I didn't encourage this acrobatic behaviour...I blame Beth...I thought turtle was laughing too much and would lose his balance and wipe out. But they talked me into getting a photo of them...In hindsight, I'm glad I got a pic...they're just so darn cute.

Are you laughing now! I hope they made your day!

K

4 Comments:

At 2:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool work,SLY use of yarn

 
At 1:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Just wondering where you get your patterns from. I'd love to make these little guys. xx

 
At 1:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, love your work. Just wanted to find out where you get your patterns. I'd love to make these little guys. Cheers x

 
At 3:22 pm, Blogger Kay said...

Thanks for your comments!

The frog, pig, and octopus are free patterns from the Lion Brand website. You need to sign up for a free account but they have loads of similar patterns. I can't remember where the turtle came from...a random website I stumbled across. Also, check out Ravelry.com...more patterns that you'll know what to do with!

Hope that helps.

Kay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home