Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Day 2 - Shanghai

Because work was so busy before I left on my trip, I really didn't have much time to read about the city and plan what I wanted to see, so I've been following Colette's lead on what there is to see and do in this city. The two of us met one of Colette friends and headed off to the Shanghai fabric market. It's super awesome! The main building at the market has three floors, full of cloth of every colour and type imaginable. Wool, cashmere, cotton, silk, you name it. It would be easy to get carried away in a place like this. The people working at the market are apparently masters of making reproductions of completed garments as well as copying designs and making them to size. I brought several things with me to have copied and will pick them up next week.

After finishing up at the fabric market, we wandered around the city for a bit. I'm still getting my bearings, which I imagine will take a day or two. For dinner, Colette took me to a Sichuan restaurant just down from the apartment. It was delicious and spicy. The chicken and peanut dish was my favourite, followed closely by the green beans which had an interesting sesame coating on them. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home